We have FREE monthly opportunities for puppy play to help socialize your puppy.
As a puppy owner, your number one focus should be providing your puppy with proper socialization outlets. Socialization is exposing your dog to novel things in a positive manner so that he can develop into a well-balanced dog. This process should begin the moment you bring your puppy home, which is contrary to the advice that many veterinarians provide.
The American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior has a strong position on this subject and believes it should be the standard of care for puppies to receive socialization before they are fully vaccinated. Early socialization and positive training can go a long way towards preventing behavior problems and improving bonding between humans and dogs.
Dogs go through critical stages in their behavioral development. One of those critical stages is the socialization period. Generally, this period takes place between 3 to 12 weeks and this is when puppies learn:
- interaction etiquette with other dogs and people
- which animals are friends versus foes
- if they have plenty of positive interactions with unfamiliar dogs, they learn dogs in general are friendly and fun to be around
- basics of interacting in a social group
- play solicitation behaviors and playing too rough or using your mouth too hard makes all the fun go away
If puppies miss out on this socialization period they often become:
- fearful of unfamiliar dogs and people
- lack proper dog-dog communication skills
- have poor dog greeting skills
- become bullies that push other dogs around
Schedule:NE Puppy Spot
Where: Spot On Training studio at 508 H Street NE Washington, DC 20002When:
What can you expect?
- Trainer supervised off-leash puppy playtime
- Opportunity to ask training questions related to puppy behavior such as potty training, crate training, puppy chewing/mouthing, etc
- Pre-registration is required as our puppy play dates are very popular and there are only so many spots available.
- For all puppies 8 weeks to 24 weeks
- Must have at least 1 DHPP booster shots and show proof of vaccines - please bring vaccination records
- All puppies should be free of parasites, free of infectious disease, and in overall good health
- Supervised children 12 years and older welcome (great socialization opportunity for the puppies)
- Pre-registration is required